Hypoallergenic Metals

Gemstone Girls is a privately owned company focusing on high quality kid's to adults’ earrings, jewelry and accessories that are fun to wear—and safe to wear. The owner who is also a parent understands how important it is to ensure product safety above all else. With decades of experience in the children’s accessories niche, he’s come to know precisely what makes the safest products for children and adults to wear.

Through every phase of product development and production, he insists on the highest standards of quality control and safety for wearing. If it passes the Gemstone Girls safety test, you know you can put these darling jewelry pieces on the youngest fashionista—to the chicest adult.

We warrant that all of our metals are hypoallergenic. So even if the person wearing the jewelry is not known to have allergic reactions to jewelry—this is a guarantee that makes one less thing to think about.

And because we stand behind our quality of every piece in the Gemstone Girls collection, you know each piece comes with our 100% Happiness Guarantee. When you’re happy—we’re happy!

316L Surgical Grade Stainless Steel

316L is the highest grade of stainless steel used in the jewelry industry.  It is so good at resisting fade, rust, and corrosion, that it is also used in architecture as well as in marine environments.  At the same time, it is safe to use for medical purposes inside the body.
For this reason, the surgical stainless steel earrings we carry are made with this same grade of steel. It will not fade, change color, or leave stains on your body. It doesn't require any maintenance to keep it looking new. It is considered Hypoallergenic and lead free. It does contain a very small amount of nickel. However, its low carbon content creates a bond with the nickel so tight that it is not released to the skin. Therefore, most people with nickel allergies will not be effected. Another layer of protection is the chromium finish which gives the stainless steel its mirror-like shine.

Cleaning Stainless Steel Jewelry

For Surgical Steel jewelry with gemstones or pearls, use a clean, dry soft cloth to gently wipe away any dirt, build-up, or smudges on the surfaces of any gemstones or pearls on your Surgical Steel jewelry. 
Fill a bowl with warm water and add dishwashing soap.For Surgical Steel jewelry with gemstones, pearls or crystals, dip the cloth into the soapy water and use it to gently scrub and wash the Surgical Steel parts of the jewelry taking care not to get the soapy water on the gemstones, pearls or crystals.

For Surgical Steel jewelry that doesn't have any gemstones, pearls, or crystals, place the jewelry into the soapy water and leave it to soak for a few minutes before using the soft cloth to gently scrub the surfaces. Rinse your soft cloth and wipe the soapy Surgical Steel surfaces clear of any soapy water.
Use a second soft cloth to dry and gently polish the Surgical Steel surfaces of the jewelry by rubbing the cloth across the surfaces a few times.

Enjoy! Repeat this process as needed every so often to keep your Surgical Steel jewelry looking beautiful and to keep your ear piercings clean and feeling good.

14K Gold

14-karat gold is made by mixing pure gold with other metals. These non-gold metals are added to make the alloy more durable than pure gold 24K, which is very soft an unsuitable for jewelry making. The alloys that the gold is mixed with give it its color. The most common colors are Yellow, White or Rose Gold.

If you have sensitive ears, earrings made from 14k gold is one of the safest choices you can make, as very few people are allergic or sensitive to the neutral metal.

Sterling Silver

Like gold, pure silver is too soft for jewelry making. It has to be combined with other metals to make it more durable.  To be labeled Sterling Silver it must be at least 92.5% pure silver, the other 7.5% can be any metal. Typically, this alloy is copper. Jewelers have found copper to be silver’s best companion, without affecting its beautiful color.There’s a good reason sterling silver is such a popular jewelry metal choice. It’s beauty and compatibility with many wearers make this gleaming white metal a perfect match for people with allergic concerns.PVD Gold PlatingPhysical Vapor Deposition, or PVD, is a vacuum coating process that produces a brilliant finish. PVD utilizes real gold and titanium nitride to provide an extremely durable coating which is more resistant to corrosion from moisture, scratches and regular wear than traditional gold plating. Gold PVD coatings can be up to 10 times thicker than standard gold plating.PVD gold plating is used to give the look and feel of real gold at a fraction of the cost of solid gold. It is an excellent process used to produce hypoallergenic jewelry.